Quick Tips on How to Write a Sponsorship Letter for a US Visa [with Samples]

Migrant Resources

Plus, common sponsorship letter mistakes to avoid

Let’s face it, writing doesn’t get any easier when it’s an official letter to the US government. It’s a lot of pressure.

That’s why we’ve come up with these tips and tricks to make sure your sponsorship letter ticks all the necessary boxes.

Read on to find out everything you need to include in your sponsorship letter and how to avoid common mistakes. Plus, we’ve also added two sample sponsorship letters to inspire you!

What is a US visa sponsorship letter?

Although it is not a requirement, a US visitor visa (B-1/B-2) often includes a visa sponsorship letter to strengthen the nonimmigrant visa application. The US visa sponsorship letter is formally known as the letter of invitation.

Not including a sponsorship letter may not be grounds to reject a visa, but we strongly recommend including one.

Who can write a visa sponsorship letter?

Any US citizen or legal permanent resident can write a letter of invitation. The person must be able to prove their citizenship or legal status and also have some kind of relationship to you, whether that be friend, relative, or representative from a relevant institution. If a family member writes the letter, they will also be asked to prove their relationship to you.

By writing a visa sponsorship letter, the author shows their trust in you and also assumes some legal and financial responsibilities.

The do’s and don’t of writing a visa sponsorship letter

• DO write the letter in English. Other languages will not be accepted.
  • DO state whether you are a US citizen or legal resident.
  • DO state your relationship to the applicant.
  • DO write the reason for the applicant’s visit, including the duration of their stay.
  • DO have someone proofread your letter to make sure there are no errors.

• DON’T forget to include your contact details including full name, address, phone number, and email address.
  • DON’T forget to include documentation regarding your residency status and/or your relationship to the applicant.
  • DON’T submit a handwritten letter. It should be typed.
  • DON’T forget to sign the letter at the end.
  • DON’T forget to double check all the information is accurate including names and contact details.

Common sponsorship letter mistakes

The biggest mistake people make when writing a visa sponsorship letter or letter of invitation is forgetting to include all of the relevant information.

The second biggest mistake is including inaccurate or incomplete information. For example, writing someone’s nickname rather than their official legal name.

The easiest way to avoid these mistakes is to proofread the letter yourself but also have someone else take another look at it too. Share your letter with the applicant so they can verify all the information about them is correct, including their full name and contact details.

Another common mistake is writing the letter in the applicant’s native language. However, don’t forget the letter needs to be in English. If the applicant does not speak English, it’s a good idea to give them an overview of the contents beforehand in case they are asked about it in their interview.

Finally, don’t try to make the letter overly formal. Although the letter is going to the US government, its primary function is to provide general information and assurance that you are willing to take responsibility for the applicant during their trip to the US. Just focus on keeping your sentences short and to the point. Resist the urge to over-explain or go into unnecessary detail.

Sample sponsorship letters for visa

Need some inspiration. Check out our sample invite letters for US visas–one addressed to the consular officer and one to the applicant.

Visa sponsorship letter sample to the consular

[Date]

United States Consulate General

[Address of the Consulate]

Dear Honorable Consul,

[Visitor’s Name] – PASSPORT NO XXXXXXXX – Born on [Visitor’s Date of Birth]

My name is [Host’s full name], residing at [Host’s address] and I am a [United States citizen/legal permanent resident], as proven by the attached documentation.

I am writing on behalf of [Applicant’s full name] who resides at [Applicant’s address] requesting that you issue him/her a tourist (B-2) visa. [Applicant’s name] is my [Describe relationship; i.e. father, sister, friend] and I would like for him/her to visit me in the United States.

[Applicant’s name] intends to visit me from [Date of entry] to [Date of exit]. During his/her stay in the United States, he/she will stay with me at my home at the address stated above. I will be responsible for [Applicant’s name] during his/her stay in the United States, after which he/she will return to [Applicant’s hometown, country].

[Applicant’s name] will be presenting this letter to you during his/her interview, together with evidence to establish his/her close ties with [Applicant’s home country], assuring you that he/she will return after the expiration of his/her stay in the United States.

Your time and consideration for this request is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

[Host’s name]

[Host’s address]

[Host’s phone number]

[Host’s email address]

[Host’s signature]

Visa sponsorship letter sample to the applicant

[Date]

[Host’s full name]

[Full address]

USA

[Host’s phone number]

[Host’s email address]

To:

[Applicant’s full name]

[Applicant’s address]

Dear [Applicant],

I happily invite you to visit me in [City], USA. This will be a great opportunity for you to see the United States and experience both the culture and lifestyle firsthand. We have several trips planned to visit famous tourist attractions such as [name of tourist place to visit near you].

I will be taking care of you during your entire trip to the US, including expenses such as food, housing, medical costs and all your other personal expenses.

Attached, I am also including all the required documentation for getting the necessary tourist visa from the US Consulate in [Location of US Consulate]

Kind regards,

[Host ‘s full name]

[Host’s signature]

Related articles